Saturday, September 3, 2011

J. & Me


Jaundice and I were companions for twoweeks. Jaundice played host while I lay on my bed, trying to ignore its anticsbut not succeeding much. After a few days, though, it lost steam and layaround, sulking. Recently it’s tired of my company and pays a visitoccasionally. Not that I miss it much and I hope never to see it again. Notonly did it drain me and leave me weak and sick, but also because Ibecame confined to my bed and became a prisoner of the telly. I watched it all;re-runs of movies on HBO, cooking shows prior to iftar, all kinds of stupidIndian films, and lots of reality shows (including Wipe Out) on AXN.

My Ramazan came to an abrupt halt becauseof jaundice. Karachi, too, it seems was suffering and its pain was greater thanmine. This Ramazan has to be one of the most deadliest and dramatic in terms ofterrorism and politics for Pakistan. Is our country plagued with a diseasewhich is incurable? Or have we turned a blind eye to the suffering of ourmotherland? One day the whole city comes to a standstill and the very next daylife resumes at its normal pace. Are we resilient or have we become numb to thehappenings around us? Question marks everywhere but no answers seem to beforthcoming from any quarter.

I need to rest now otherwise J. mightjust pay me another visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment